Question Identifying PSX Modchip

CMYK

I got a PSX (5502 PU-18) off eBay and after taking it apart for cleaning, I noticed it comes with an unexpected modchip surprise. I want to remove it.

Has anyone ever seen one of these, and happens to know if it's safe to remove? I tried to find this particular modchip on Google, but came up short. Aside from the modchip and its wires, I cannot see any other alterations done to the board (though I might be wrong, of course).

1686479664538.png

1686479787742.png

1686479857707.png

CMYK

The reverse side had nothing on it, except for some... goop. This may have been a mistake, but I decided to remove the modchip. Will let you know if functionality is impacted once my replacement RCA cables arrive (it didn't come with these).

Portables
The reverse side had nothing on it, except for some... goop. This may have been a mistake, but I decided to remove the modchip. Will let you know if functionality is impacted once my replacement RCA cables arrive (it didn't come with these).
Would love to hear how it goes. If your modchip matches what's described in the articles I linked, it should just stop accepting burned discs and discs from other regions, but I'm no expert.

CMYK

Fingers crossed! Will provide an update once I get the RCA cables :)

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
I got a PSX (5502 PU-18) off eBay and after taking it apart for cleaning, I noticed it comes with an unexpected modchip surprise. I want to remove it.

Has anyone ever seen one of these, and happens to know if it's safe to remove? I tried to find this particular modchip on Google, but came up short. Aside from the modchip and its wires, I cannot see any other alterations done to the board (though I might be wrong, of course).

View attachment 28057

View attachment 28058
View attachment 28059
I suspect that this modchip might have been an early attempt at circumventing modchip detection schemes that some games started including at the time. It just screams over-engineered in that regard lol

As for removal, you should be able to without issue, but it's possible that the laser may be on its way out. There's some contention that CD-Rs could possibly strain the laser more than pressed discs, regardless if thats true or not, one could probably safely assume that a modchipped PS1 probably got more usage than a non-chipped system. :XD:

CMYK

My RCA cable arrived. Confirming that thankfully, everything is still working!

Video looks a lot worse than I remembered, so I guess next up is the VGA mod.