Question Is my Wii trim dead??????

Portables
working on No.1
Hi all,

I am building my first Wii portable and I am up to testing the trim. However, the trim simply is not working. is it dead or is it salvageable?

Image (1).jpg
Image (2).jpg
Image (3).jpg
Image (4).jpg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What on earth happened to that poor Wii? You have solder blobs bridging pins on the AVE, you've obliterated some of the NAND traces, and there's goo everywhere. It might be salvagable, but trimming a new Wii would be simpler

Portables
working on No.1
What on earth happened to that poor Wii? You have solder blobs bridging pins on the AVE, you've obliterated some of the NAND traces, and there's goo everywhere. It might be salvageable, but trimming a new Wii would be simpler
I see.

Thank you for your response, the NAND pad obliteration happened when i attempted to repair some destroyed traces by soldering wires manually to the pins, the goo is super glue residue from the NAND wires.

so i guess that Wii is now in a better place

if i decided to try and fix it, how could i do that?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You'd have to clean everything as best you can, remove the solder blobs, and run some magnet wires to repair the severed connections between the NAND legs and the vias that they feed. 5 traces appear severed, so that'd be your minimum repair assuming that the other worn traces are functional.

Portables
working on No.1
thank you all for your replies. i have already tried to fix the NAND with 30 gauge wire wrapping wire and that's what caused both the goo and the destroyed NAND pads. i am going to try again on a new Wii, but i will keep that one to fix it later.

i also want to know what your opinion is in my soldering iron.
1712015588398.png

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Reviving this Wii is likely possible, but it would take a very experienced modder to do so. It's safe for you to call this board a write-off at this point. Keep it around for future use once you are more experienced, or gift it to another modder to have a crack at it.

I would STRONGLY advise getting a better soldering iron with temperature control. The cost of boards that iron will destroy is going to be greater than the cost of a new iron.

Portables
working on No.1
Reviving this Wii is likely possible, but it would take a very experienced modder to do so. It's safe for you to call this board a write-off at this point. Keep it around for future use once you are more experienced, or gift it to another modder to have a crack at it.

I would STRONGLY advise getting a better soldering iron with temperature control. The cost of boards that iron will destroy is going to be greater than the cost of a new iron.
Thank you SO much shank. I would much prefer to do it right than to screw up another wii.

do you have any recommendations for a soldering iron?

Portables
working on No.1
any other sugestions for soldering irons?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The Pinecil is the best entry level iron available atm. The old Weller station that we used to recommend is directly inferior and harder to find

Portables
working on No.1
i've decided to eventually revive this wii trim into a LmaoV2 trim. not really important, just a bit of closure for reference.