Worklog Kill Mii Too (Altoids Smalls Tin Portable)

CrispModz

Hello! This is the beginning of the Kill Mii Too thread!

This project was inspired by @Shank's original project, the Kill Mii. The Kill Mii was a project made a few years ago by Shank, an amazing person in the community. It was a project based on the long-running joke in the community, "But can it fit in an Altoids tin?" and he did just that. He took a Wii and basically shoved it into an Altoids tin. It had horrible battery life, it was very uncomfortable, and it was a huge mess on the inside, but it worked. Well, now I want a piece of the pain! Sorry if I look a bit insensitive for taking Shank's naming convention without asking first... I'm just bad with naming stuff.

I started this project about a year ago while I was studying the Wii Compendium and found an Altoids Smalls tin on my desk. I put it up to the Wii motherboard I was trying to fix and found that both the CPU and GPU would just barely be able to fit. After that, I got curious and became very side-tracked. And a few days ago, I got a notification of something that almost gave me a heart attack, it was a new thread about the ZOMG. I haven't done the trim, but I will eventually get it done. I'm so glad someone who isn't shy would say something about this trim.

Well, I guess this is my progress from the past year...
I had made a simple model of how the Wii would look.
Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_145800_www.tinkercad.com.png

Then I made a simple model of the Altoids Smalls tin based on the one I had, and then just started filling it with all the parts a Wii portable would need: fan, heatsink, PMS, PD, GC+, screen, buttons, etc. It was a lot to fit in such a small space, but I managed to fit a lot in there, with that it still just barely closes the gap.
Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_143719_www.tinkercad.com.png

Here's an old model I made to map it out:
Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_143957_www.tinkercad.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_144021_www.tinkercad.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_144107_www.tinkercad.com.png
Opera Snapshot_2024-05-06_150634_www.tinkercad.com.png

Here's a 3D printed test of it:
1000002521.jpg
1000002524.jpg

1000002527.jpg

(¬‿¬ )

Last edited:

CrispModz

Putting in an order for a bunch of Altoids Smalls tins for prototyping. Should also get a bunch of Wii's for practice.

Reactions: cy

cy

Portables
It's hard to believe that a serious attempt is actually being made of this. Has there been any consideration of creating a flex for the RAM? I feel like this is the only way this might happen after seeing Yveltal's amazingly impressive attempt.

CrispModz

Has there been any consideration of creating a flex for the RAM? I feel like this is the only way this might happen after seeing Yveltal's amazingly impressive attempt.
I don't know if anyone has thought about doing a flex, it could be done in several different ways. We could try a flex where we would move the entire RAM onto it, or we could have two flexes bridging both sides of the RAM's traces to both sides of the trim...

Last edited:
Reactions: cy

cy

Portables
Yeah, I was thinking about what @YveltalGriffin said about the ground missing ground plane. I tried creating a termination flex for the N64 jumper pak and had a similar failure. It wasn't until @CrazyGadget created his Akira flex that the community had a working jumper pak flex. The main difference between his flex and my flex was that my flex lacked a ground plane, so maybe as @YveltalGriffin suggested in his thread, that's what is needed to pull the RAM flex off? And as you had already suggested, there may be multiple ways of trying to tackle this task. I'd imagine that the compendium would also help since we'd be able to see details we couldn't otherwise. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
Portables
Not even one portable has been built by me. Yet
Can’t wait for it to light on fire

CrispModz

I updated the layout of where everything will go a bit. I still don't know exactly where, or how I will fit the batteries into this thing.
Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.07.51 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.07.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.08.13 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.08.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.09.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.09.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-09 10.12.54 AM.png

Any ideas on how I could compact this any further?

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I think successfully relocating/bending the RAM is a prerequisite for this worklog

CrispModz

I think successfully relocating/bending the RAM is a prerequisite for this worklog
Sorry, I guess I'm always a bit too quick on my feet when I find something that gets me on my feet and running (the ZOMG thread). But I'll try my best, and if it doesn't work out, I'll hand the project over to someone else who might do a better job.

Last edited: