Worklog Louii road

Jpin

Hello guys, after a long wait for the parts to arrive. Finally are here I’ll try to build a Louii portable so lot of work to do in the next days and by the way it’s my first project on electronics so don’t expect this post will develop fluid jejeje. here we go

For these first part here are the sparts I’m going to use. All PCB’s are from 4layer tech.
20220215_091644.jpg

U10

IMG-20220224-WA0004.jpg

Start of the wiring, I try to measure the cable based on the case im going to use to have them ready once the first test goes well. Im using the RVL PMS LITE since the the version 2 is not available, also the U-amp2 and PMS-PD Revision B

IMG-20220223-WA0011(1).jpg

IMG-20220223-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20220223-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20220223-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20220224-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220224-WA0006.jpg

All this wiring I did was based on the diagram that you guys can find on the 4layertech web at documents on each product page.

Now screen wiring, battery and time to do the first test.

IMG-20220224-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20220224-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20220224-WA0006.jpg

Ok so good and bad news as expected for a noob jejeje, the board doesn’t boot but the screen is working I didn’t fry it so not everything is bad. I just realize that the Lite board has a U10 connection, so I think I didn’t have to relocate the U10 and maybe that’s the reason is not working. Ill connect the U10 from the Lite and see how it turns for the moment this is my work progress.

Attachments

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Cool stuff, man! I haven't seen anyone do a Louii in a good while. Here's a few notes that might help you out along your journey:
  • I'm not sure what you're using to make those photo compilation things, but it's making the resolution of the individual photos so small that it's impossible to see anything. You're better off just uploading each pic individually and resizing from there
  • Invest in some good flux, my friend! I like Kester 951, some people use Amtech stuff, some people use Chip Quik, just don't get some sort of plumbing flux or any of that crap. Good flux will go a long way in terms of the quality of your solder joints
  • Make sure your iron is a good temp, I keep mine around 300C / 650F, maybe a little more if I'm doing a ground plane or something
  • Make sure you keep the exposed portion of your wires short enough to only cover the pad you're soldering to, you don't want to move a wire and accidentally short something!
  • Regarding your U10, you can either do the relocation or use the U10 pad from the PMS, they both do the same thing. I'd recommend just using the U10 pad on the PMS, it makes life a little easier
I look forward to seeing how this project goes!

Portables
Half
For these first part here are the sparts I’m going to use. All PCB’s are from 4layer tech.
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but as far as I’m aware the Louii was designed for the legacy BB products rather than the 4 Layer boards, do minor internal case redesigning may be required

Jpin

you are right, i will have to modify the case a bit.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
IIRC Ginger is working on some updated STLs to accommodate the 4Layer boards, not sure when they'll get released tho, so you might want to wait it out.

Jpin

i already print the case, was the first thing while waiting for the parts LOL, no worries ill try my mod on that case

Jpin

Hi guys here is an Update

So, after the first try with the help of @Gunnar we found out that I have fried the PMS wich use parallel batteries instead of series conf so be care when installing the batteries. I also had to modify the case because im using 4layer boards instead the ones @GingerOfOz use. So, its been a nonstop learning process wich a find to enjoy

-I have redo all the wiring ( you can check the pictures at the top, Couse the old ones weren't real clear)
-Modify the case
-i did try the screen with the new batteries conf and PMS but didnt work here are some pics
IMG-20220224-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20220224-WA0015.jpg

I also try changing for a different type of wire (AWG22) from the screen to the board but didn't work at all.
IMG-20220224-WA0019.jpg

if anyone have any idea what could be wrong ill appreciate that. ill keep you guys update

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Why do you have the LDO still attached if you're using 1.8v from the PMS? If you're using 1.8v from the PMS, the LDO must be removed

Jpin

its the Lite version, that one doesn't support 1.8, actually i have to put it back jejejej.

Jpin

OK, new update. so when i did put back the LDO on the board wasnt the best way and i found a short. i did try to removed it and put it back again but guess what, i just blew out the pads so time to relocate the LDO but that time i was so tired that i just took a break and come back later, had some check on how to do it but it seems to be a bit difficult so i decided to take that board away and wait for the PMS2 that works without the LDO. so moment for a new star

i decided to make a layout more cleaner initially just to have a better understanding of what im doing (still a complete noob at this), so here are some pics

Board and initial waring. this time i start the wiring from the PMS instead of the board and i think for me worked better to organize in a better all the wires.

Board.jpg
Board to PMS.jpg

PMS and PD (version B)
PD.jpg

Pms + PD.jpg

then i did wire the screen board to the wii.
Screen board.jpg
Comp no battery.jpg

cables seems to be a bit longer but i like it this way so i can understand what goes where, later on ill short them out to put them inside the case. here is the back of the wii
IMG-20220226-WA0016.jpg

and finally all together with the batteries.
Comp.jpg

but still not booting, i can feel the cpu is getting hot when i plug the batteries that means its working, but dont know what im doing wrong on this, any ideas will be much appreciate. im getting crazy now jejejeje been working 3 days on this non stop and nothing come out yet.

Hmmm I see a lot of cold solder joints. I would make sure to use flux to touch connections up. Also the ends of each connection should be shorter as to not touch any other joints or connections around them.

Check for shorts and measure with multimeter to see if there are any issues when turning on as well.

Jpin

thanks for the advise @CalebPikmin, you mean take the measures from the points i have take the resistance values? im not the best with the multimeter.

Jpin

Hmmm I see a lot of cold solder joints. I would make sure to use flux to touch connections up. Also the ends of each connection should be shorter as to not touch any other joints or connections around them.

Check for shorts and measure with multimeter to see if there are any issues when turning on as well.
I just checked the voltage with the power on, the COM on the battery (- income pad of the PMS) and the red one touching each point, these are my readings

1.15=1.15
1=0.99
1.80=1.78
3.3=3.3
On the MPS this are the values
u10= 3.27
scw= .024
scd=.038
PD reading are ok as well

It looks like there is no shorts. what could it be ?

Hmmm... do you have the micro USB and USB plugged in? Have you tested to see if the PD board works with the USB on the computer or anything like that? Also did you use RVLoader on the wii? What version are you using?

Also please get some good flux and take time with those connections. Slowing down and going step by step really helps me.

Jpin

Hmmm... do you have the micro USB and USB plugged in? Have you tested to see if the PD board works with the USB on the computer or anything like that? Also did you use RVLoader on the wii? What version are you using?

Also please get some good flux and take time with those connections. Slowing down and going step by step really helps me.
Joints fix, i havnt connect the USB planing to do it after fixing this booting issue. and yes i have install the RVLoader version 1.15.

Jpin

Like CalebPikmin said, did you install RVLoader on your Wii before trimming and if so, did you patch out Wifi?
I didnt patch the WIFI couse im not going to use it. only VGA option was enable.

Portables
I didnt patch the WIFI couse im not going to use it. only VGA option was enable.
So the option that said patch wifi you selected no? If that's the case I'm not surprised it won't boot because patching allows the system to ignore it so it can boot, reading all the info on the page is very important. Boot requirements of the wii gets mentioned at the start of the trim guide too. So what it boils down to is it's now likely you need to wire up the wifi chip so you can get an image to display on the screen

Added image:
Screenshot_20220228-053317_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Jpin

@vipe_202 i thinks here is the issue and still a light on this board, ill start now with the wifi wiring thanks a lot