Ghosts make wii micro with wii 4 layer ?

Hello, I want to make a wii microphone but I only have a 4-layer model (I know that a 6-layer is recommended for this type of project)
So I was wondering what the cut would be for a 4 layer Wii mic. the only picture i found here is of a 6 layer wii, does it also fit a 4 layer?
omgnoldii-trim.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Afaik the Noldtendo Wii Micro design requires a 6 layer Wii due to the trim dimensions. 4 layer Wiis have the NAND chip and 1.8v reg rotated 90 degrees and thus have a slightly longer trim which won't fit inside the case. You would have to modify the case design to be a bit longer in order for a 4 layer board to be compatible

dacor so I just have to lengthen the cut lines of my wii so that all the trimmings fit? (I will redo a box for the wii 4 layers)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I think so, yes. Extend the trim lines to accommodate the essential functional area shown in the 4 layer OMGWTF trim, and then if you lengthen the case by 10mm or so it *should* work just fine. The 4 layer and 6 layer Wiis have the same size heatsink in the same place with the same screwholes and the same fan, so once the case is enlarged to fit a 4 layer trim it should just work as a drop in replacement. All you have to adjust for are the voltage supply locations and the BT module relocation.

The 4 layer boards have no convenient BT vias like the 6 layers do, so you'll have to do the trace scrape and solder magnet wire to the traces before mounting the trim to allow for the BT module relocation to work.

ok but for the BT module I'm afraid of breaking the traces and is there a clearer guide on where to solder my magnetic wires from the BT module to the wii

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
That looks pretty solid to me! Yup just remove any cut-though components and what's left of the stock voltage regs, give it good sand and you'll be good to try it out!

how do i check if there are any short circuits in my card before plugging it in to test it

Attachments

Hello again, I have several questions. I have started the wii with my pth08080 and suddenly a black screen appears and about 1/5 of the attempts there is the image which tells me that I have no usb keys plugged in so I plug it in and it is written loading on black screen and it remains blocked on this image. (let me know if I'm not clear in my words)

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you show us photos of your wiring?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you check that all the resistances were within acceptable bounds before wiring in power? If the USB connection is having issues it could be something like a transient short on the 5v line.

That is assuming the problem isn't this bit here that looks like a straight up short
1676180337842.png

I think I understood something... when I plug in my usb key and start my wii nothing happens just a black screen but when I remove my key and restart, it shows me an error with RVL which tells me that the key usb is not connected. (I double-checked if my connections are good but everything seems to be in order.) Are there any connection wires missing for everything to start correctly? Thanks for your help !

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nothing is missing that I can see. Did you fix the short I pointed out before?

I don't think it's normal but for each resistance between 3.3v and the other voltages I have, it's around (17k ~) and when I look in the resistance guide it says that it is supposed to have 9k .
Does that mean there is a short circuit somewhere?

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If your regs are connected to the Wii when you measure, it can skew the results. To answer your question though, a higher resistance is rarely a cause for concern. What you need to look out for are lower resistances, particularly single digit readings as those indicate a short.

I recommend desoldering the regular wires from the Wii and re-taking the resistance measurements. Then later on when you reconnect the regs, measure the voltage on your 5V line and see if it's dipping below 4.5v