Question Minimum OMGWTF trim

Portables
Hi everyone! Hope you're doing well

I have a question:
Does anyone knows which is the minimum trim size for a OMGWTF trim? NOTE: without relocating NAND or AVE

I know that The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide indicates the trim size with red lines, but I saw some trims on this forum that are smaller than the size indicated and seems to work:
trim_OMG.png

The pictures I saw in this forum:
20240309_113300.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg

If anyone did some experiments with trimmed boards, hope can help me...
Thanks in advance

you can cut closer on the AVE side just have to be wary of the AVE lines (you also will cut out some easy-to-use Vias). Plus, the top trim line is defined by the NAND traces so if you really wanted to you could follow their outline and then as long as you're doing either wireless U10 or emulation you can cut a lot closer on the diagonal. I think that's about it though. Honestly outside of cutting closer to the AVE, which is even marginal at best, there's no real trim savings that save enough space to make it worth it to deal with the inward cuts and all the trouble of not having straight lines.

A lot of the older OMGWTF trims are going to try and save the Composite pads for easy soldering but they're not necessary.

I would suggest playing around on the compendium to figure out what trim would work best for you!

Portables
I've tried to reduce my trim as small as possible, but it still has the same shape defined on OMGWTF

Maybe I should go for:
-The AVE lines first (no matter if I need to solder on smaller vias)
-Relocate U10 directly onto the vias on top side and wire 3v3 to it
-Check compendium for closest approach to NAND traces
-Try some irregular-shaped trims to reduce the board size and height

Thanks a lot!
I think I'll document my process later

Well if you post photos of what you're thinking of we can let you know how it looks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The purple lines are the OMGWTF trim, the yellow lines are the LMAOv1. Afaik the LMAOv1 lines are the minimum required footprint of a trim aside from the NAND relocation.

You could save *some* space, but personally I really don't recommend it. You'll end up with a very annoying troubleshooting process. Why do you need to make the trim smaller anyway? If you really need to save space for a compact build, you're much better off getting some NAND flexes and doing a proper LMAOv2 trim (blue lines)