Question Pal 60hz screen issue

Hi,
When i'm trying to play 60hz PAL games on my PAL GC my screen turns black and white, but 50hz games works well. I bought 4 differents screens but still have the same problem. Between my screen and my gamecube I wired a 220uf capcitor and a variable resistor that i took from a GC DD . I just don't know how to fix this. If anyone can find a solution or a driver board for a 4.3" screen that supports 60hz pal i will be thankfull,

Ahah thanks man but i bought 5 of them and they all give me the same issue, now my games aren't in black and white but it's in bad colours, i mean it's the right colours but it's kinda weird, I got a photo to explain. And it's not the resistor issue, and not the screen parameters either, I tried 4 differents resistor and all the screen parameters i could.

EDIT: Maybe there is a way to convert a PAL signal to NTSC so it will work on my screen? :)

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Are you using shielded wiring? Interference can cause funky colors like that. Also, make sure your ground wires are thick enough, that could also cause discoloration.

Nope my wires are not shielded, and I put 2 ground wires, and this discoloration only appears when I play on 60Hz

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Can you switch to 50hz pal or is that not an option? If it was a Wii I would just tell you to get the ntsc reguon games since the Wii can output both pal and ntsc from the same chip, however the gamecube is locked to one region or another afaik

If it was that simple I would have done that since the begining, unfortunately, some games are forced to 60Hz pal :(
And i've seen some pal to ntsc converter on amazon but I don't know if these things are actually working, do you know if they do? :)

Bakuku

Portables
The PSOne screens are region specific. They will only work with PAL or NTSC. Giving them any other region then their own will cause issues like flickering, no color and so on.

As for the screen I've linked, I've used these screen a lot and never had the issue you are having with them now.
I do recall that when I built my Wii U Cube Portable I used a 6.2" LCD screen that was compatible with both 50hz PAL and 60hz NTSC. Only, When I connected the screen to a PAL board and booted, the LCD screen would stay locked on 50hz PAL and give scrolling/flickering image when booting a game that was capable of 60hz. This made me realize that the video signal frequenty could not be switched mid power on because the first Signal would be written somewhere in the LCD controllerboard and stay that way no matter what signal came in and even though the screen was capable of using both 50hz and 60hz.
To remedy this I switched to a NTSC board GameCube so the signal read would be 60hz on startup and use just NTSC iso's. Should there be a need to play a PAL game I would simply press and hold B on game boot to make the PAL game switch to 60hz mode.