Question PTH08080 alternatives

kahve

I am looking for PTH08080 regulators but I failed to find any in my local electronics shops. Is there anything else I can use? Specifically for 1v and 1v15.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You likely aren't going to find one, especially at a local place. You need a clean, stable, high current regulator. There really aren't any known stock alternatives, hence why the PTH08080's have stuck around for so long. This is why the community has developed custom solutions like the RVL-PMS.

If you already purchased other random regulators for 5v and 3.3v, you may want to reconsider using them, as there is a good chance they are extremely inefficient (linear regulators) or have an extremely dirty output (possibly bad enough to toast a Wii motherboard)

kahve

If you already purchased other random regulators for 5v and 3.3v, you may want to reconsider using them, as there is a good chance they are extremely inefficient (linear regulators) or have an extremely dirty output (possibly bad enough to toast a Wii motherboard)
I have switching regulators directly on the battery charging circuit and I was planning to use them. I have looked at the output with a scope and saw little to no fluctuation, so that with a capacitor should be fine, i can't be sure though, this is my first portable.