Worklog Purple ashida

I decided to try my hand with an ashida as I was tired of working on my 13 year n64 portable. I was able to 3d print my own case using an ender 3 pro. With wesks stl files. The case turned out great printing at around a 45 or 60 degree angle.

The first thing I did was wet sand and the spray with a matte clear coat as I really didn’t want a glossy look. The bottom edge of the bottom half of the case didn’t really print that well but I didn’t want to reprint the bottom or pay someone to do it for me. I also really don’t mind how it is so it looks kinda funny.

I then ordered the ashida pcbs, pms lite and usb-pd from the 4layertech store. Ordered the other components as listed in the BOM. Got everything wired that was possible so I could then trim my wii and test it.
Before trimming, I made sure to install rvloader and patch out Bluetooth and enable vga as I will use vga instead of composite. Everything was successful so I opened hit up and cut it with a Dremel. After trimming and sanding, I measured my resistances and got, what I thought, was continuity between the 3.3v, 1.15v and GND. After asking the discord channel for help, Jeff mentioned that low resistance will sometimes trigger the continuity feature of the DMM(beep in my case). After waiting a whole night and checking in the morning I saw I was getting around 50 ohm which should be okay. I was also getting the correct resistances at the other points as well. I guess I’m just bad at using a DMM .

I wired the data lines up, wired the u10, wired the voltage lines, the i2c lines, I wired 3.3v to pin 8 of the video port, R/G/B from the silver capacitors and H/V from the ave. After doing this and verifying once again that nothing was shorted, I turn the wii on……….. nothing exciting happened. The screen turned on (yah me) waited like 5-10 secs screen went black. (Boo me). I checked the cpu/gpu of the wii and they were getting warm. Not burn your finger hot but warm. After reading Gingerz exhaustive wii trimming and troubleshooting FAQ and as many work logs and questions as possible. I can not figure why it won’t boot. I assume it won’t boot as the screen doesn’t seem to respond to the wii. The only thing that I have not tested is wiring up the GC+ data line to the wii. Not sure if that is a requirement to boot but I don’t think so.At this point I’m just hopeful it works magically.

Attachments

After about 2 months of working on it on and off I have made progress. And lost some progress. So I figured out that my power lines were too long which was giving me an error when booting. I shortened them and I was able to get consistent boots. I then was able to get my vga to work but my color was slightly off. To try and remedy this I played around with the wii and in the process broke it. So after buying another wii I was able to trim it and then get it to boot. I also got my buttons installed and verified that the controls work.

My problem now is that I get a weird pulsating buzz/hum coming from the ave when I have the thermistor wire connected to the wii. Without it everything appears normal. I will try to see if it is the pms lite or something on the wii…..

dababy

this looks pretty awesome so far! As for your problem I have no idea but a weird thing is my ave has the same issue... so im def keeping this in watch and what screen are u using? another question is what temp are u printing at cuz when i tried this on my ender 3 it did not work at all (pile of spaghetti ) anyway i wish u the best of luck finishing this up

I hope to finish up by the end of the month, then I can work on my gboy pcbs. I am using the ips screen from the 4layer tech store. With my ender 3 I use 210 C nozzle temp with 60 C for the bed. I have a glass bed and I still use blue painters tape and purple glue for the first layer otherwise I get a mess.

I hope to finish up by the end of the month, then I can work on my gboy pcbs. I am using the ips screen from the 4layer tech store. With my ender 3 I use 210 C nozzle temp with 60 C for the bed. I have a glass bed and I still use blue painters tape and purple glue for the first layer otherwise I get a mess.
Were you able to fix the issue you were having?

dababy

ummm not quite... i just use it in vga because oddly i only have the issue in av