Question Putting Sega Genesis in NES shell

Hi, All!

A while back my partner showed me some pictures of a Genesis that was fitted into an NES shell and LOVED it. I have some extra time and consoles around, and since it’s a one-off the original creator already sold or just kept and I’ve been interested in getting into modding anyway, I’d like to try to do it myself as a gift for my partner. I have basically no modding or electronics experience, and the first question I’m running into is how to extend the cartridge slot so that I can position it horizontally to fit into the NES shell slot opening. So far I have found a couple threads on other sites mentioning using ribbon or IDE cables to achieve something like this? Any suggestions as to how to extend the cartridge slot/port would be amazing! I’m including pictures of the modded console I saw to give y’all a better idea of what I’m asking.

Thank you for helping me with my first potential modding project — excited to be here!

(photos from project by funky_fixes on insta)

Attachments

Last edited:

Funky

Portables
I built this a few years ago. I used 34 AWG magnet wire to extend the cart slot and controller ports and 22AWG wire for video and power. Used a genesis 2 and frankencased the front slot to fit the cartridges. I don’t have many pictures of the internals wired up cause I’m bad at documenting builds lol

Attachments

So fun that I ran into you on here since yours was the inspiring project it looks like! Thank you for the advice — I’m excited to give it a go!

Probably a silly question, but can you tell me what you have attached to the end of the wires connecting to the cartridge slots? Thanks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Probably a silly question, but can you tell me what you have attached to the end of the wires connecting to the cartridge slots? Thanks!
That'd be heatshrink tubing. It's probably to isolate and relieve strain on the wires and solder joints

Not quite at the worklog point yet as I’m still waiting on some materials, but I did have a general question. The NES and Sega Genesis model 2 both have a fitted metal base and top layer inside — is this important and do I need to make sure that I include these metal shells?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not quite at the worklog point yet as I’m still waiting on some materials, but I did have a general question. The NES and Sega Genesis model 2 both have a fitted metal base and top layer inside — is this important and do I need to make sure that I include these metal shells?
Nah you don't need them. They're for EMF shielding and only exist to keep the systems in compliance with commercial anti-interference law. You can include them if you want, but it's not required