Worklog radicalplants' Unnamed Wii Portable

radicalplants' Unnamed Wii Portable

This portable is going to built off a modular pin header system that will allow multiple different interfaces to be used with the same module which will consist of the main Wii board only. It shouldn't take more than a VGA 20 pin header to achieve this. However I also may go with the standard integrated 'all in one' design that most portables use.

4x gc controller data
1x Vcc 12-7.4v
2x Vout (3.3, 5.0)
2x L and R audio
1x composite video
2x sync/reset button
4x usb ports
4x GND

This 3D case design as made with the 'digital frankencase' method. Basically I like to merge models and then 3D print them rather than frankencase and wait for the parts to dry. Other case designs may include an ASCII GC Controller based unit (ugh frankencasing ☹) or a one based off an Atari Lynx II model or an SL57 from polycase.

I have two preconfigured boards to work with for making the modules. I have an OMGWTF Wii I commissioned @ShockSlayer for as well as an AlmostWTF GC I bought from @Gman last month. Also avalable to me are 5 uncut GC boards, 2 megadrives and 2 extra WASPs. So I can build a maximum of 4 module boxes if I even use that idea.

Right now I am waiting for materials to come in the mail. The next post will be a course of action on how I'll attack this project. However right now at the top of the list is making my first case. I could use help deciding a case design, specifically scaling this model correctly for my slicer so that the buttons fit.

Here is an early picture of the board, what a beauty!

Nick

Right, but what sized capacitors is he using? Are they 100uf 16v? and what gauge wire is that as well?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Better to go with 3x PTH08080s. Also that pinout for the PTR08100 is incorrect in the diagram.

You can also use an additional regulator for 5v that will run to rumble and USB but wiring a PTH08080 for that might be overkill

Nick

Ok cool then I'll just go with three PTH08080, I think I see some little resistors poking out the sides of those PTH08080's do you happen to know what size those are by chance? and is that diagram pretty much the same just with three PTH08080 running to 1v,1.15v, and 3.3v instead of 5v, 3.3v, and 1.7v?

JacksonS

Portables
Yes, you can follow the diagram for three PTH08080 if you just change the resistors. This is the equation for finding the resistor value for any voltage:

Nick

I'm really bad with this kind of stuff so Vout would be your 1, 1.15, and 3.3 right? k just stands for 1000? do you plug anything in for V or is it just a label? Sorry for all the nooby questions. I'm learning slowly, I appreciate all the help you guys have given me.