Random setting changes

Hello,

I'm having a lot of strange problems & I really don't know what the culprit is. I'm running the latest firmware on everything. I'm using a pms-lite, PMS-PD-2, RVL-Amp. My issues include:

-rv loader settings changing randomly each time I turn the system on, often to settings that aren't choose-able options(negative temperatures, charging voltages that are way to high, "-nan C", etc.)

-battery life jumps from 1-3% or just gets hard stuck at 100%. Nothing in-between

- the whole system freezes 3-5 times when I first turn it on, but seems to be fine once it warms up(literally warms up, if it has been charging it usually wont freeze)

-power LED is staying on even with the system fully turned off

- I can't access my files via the usb-C port on the pms-pd 2. I have to fully remove the USB and plug it into my computer to make changes

-the system won't load into RVloader if charging

-wont load any VC games that I've tried(all N64)

The system still plays GC & Wii games just fine, but the randomly changing settings has been a real headache. If anyone has any suggestions or possible solutions, they would be greatly appreciated.

If you didn't relocate the MX chip virtual console and wii ware games won't work. I to occasionally have the problem where it won't load into RVloader when charging so I'll just unplug it, turn it on, then plug the charging cord in and it works fine. I don't have an answer to any of the other problems though.

If you didn't relocate the MX chip virtual console and wii ware games won't work. I to occasionally have the problem where it won't load into RVloader when charging so I'll just unplug it, turn it on, then plug the charging cord in and it works fine. I don't have an answer to any of the other problems though.
Good to know, I didn't relocate the MX chip, so that's one problem resolved. Thank you for the info

Little update:
It has devolved to the point of freezing constantly and being stuck in toggle power mode so I can't turn it off. Time to start over from scratch

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
It's gonna be hard for any of us to help troubleshoot with you if you don't include some photos of your wiring, solder joints, boards, batteries, etc.

Lots of SW issues can be caused by faulty data +/- wiring, pairs not twisted correctly, the wrong USB drive, cold solder joints, etc.

Lots of clear photos can help us eliminate some of the things we might think it is, but ultimately we're just resorting to arm chair troubleshooting until then.

It's gonna be hard for any of us to help troubleshoot with you if you don't include some photos of your wiring, solder joints, boards, batteries, etc.

Lots of SW issues can be caused by faulty data +/- wiring, pairs not twisted correctly, the wrong USB drive, cold solder joints, etc.

Lots of clear photos can help us eliminate some of the things we might think it is, but ultimately we're just resorting to arm chair troubleshooting until then.
I fully admit that this is a communication error on my part, partly due to me panicking at the time of the original post. Seeing that I have no idea what could be causing these issues, and my phone camera isnt the greatest, I was hoping that someone might have a faint clue of what's wrong, and I could upload those specific pictures instead of a bunch of irrelevant pictures upfront. I totally get how no pictures at all doesn't help with the diagnosis.

Ill try and get some clear pictures of my wiring when I get home and upload them. I think that my data lines are a fair culprit

Thank you for the advice.

Portables
So pulling from your post:

-rv loader settings changing randomly each time I turn the system on, often to settings that aren't choose-able options(negative temperatures, charging voltages that are way to high, "-nan C", etc.)

^ this is faulty wiring on the data connection the pms/rvl amp or interference

-battery life jumps from 1-3% or just gets hard stuck at 100%. Nothing in-between

^ still a wiring issue/communication to the pms

- the whole system freezes 3-5 times when I first turn it on, but seems to be fine once it warms up(literally warms up, if it has been charging it usually wont freeze)

^haven't seen this one could be a trim issue cant say

-power LED is staying on even with the system fully turned off

^ sounds like wiring culprit

- I can't access my files via the usb-C port on the pms-pd 2. I have to fully remove the USB and plug it into my computer to make changes

-the system won't load into RVloader if charging

^ don’t plug it into your pc to charge it disables usb to pass it from Wii to pc

-wont load any VC games that I've tried(all N64)

^ needs Mx chip

All in all we need pics of how you have all of it together

So I went ahead and re-did my usb data wires, and it seems to be functioning a lot better, but I still need to do extensive testing. It has frozen a few times so I'll probably switch over to magnet wire for data lines and see if that fixes it. I'm still adding pictures Incase anyone sees something else that could cause issues or that I should address. (Pictures are from after I redid the usb data wires)
IMG_20230803_191138463_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230802_182228559_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230801_214636121_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230802_182521563_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230801_211104528_HDR.jpg

Thank you all for the suggestions/advice and saving me from starting over from scratch. Again, please let me know if you see any other issues I should address. I'll try to give another update before long

Attachments

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Yeah I'd definitely swap out that data line pair for a tightly twisted magnet wire pairs. You might also see some freezes or hang ups in the SW based on what USB drive you're using.

There's a list in the RVLoader FAQ page of supported drives.

Update:

Most things seems to be in working order now. I had to redo my data lines a few times, and I swapped USB to the approved SanDisk. I think the data lines were causing the bulk of my issues.
I still can't access files when I plug my portable into my computer, and it seems that my batteries aren't getting a full charge , but I can live with these issues.