RV Loader Failed to initialize Fat FS!

I was wrapping up my Ashida portable and I received this message when powering
it up. I tried 2 different cards at 256 and 128 gb sizes with fat32 and 32k allocation cluster
sizes. I can connect the Ashida to my computer and it recognize and sees the drive.
I'm not sure what I'm missing or over looking.

Failed to initialize Fat Fs! Is a ubs drive plugged in?

20230628_143808.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
How long are your USB data wires? Are they properly twisted together?

How long are your USB data wires? Are they properly twisted together?
Just long enough to run along the perimeter of trim to the right up (from the connections of the wii usb vias) , then left to usb c pcb.

Twisted with a drill.

Admittedly, I may have damaged the usb pcb yesterday by accident when I connecting the positive wire to the battery clip on the left. Briefly touch usb part, spark. I had a battery on the opposite side inserted, screwed down trim, and only had that one last connection to make with the other end of the battery line to clip (left). It was a tight fit trying to get that battery in(on the right) and was easier to insert it then screw down the board. Sucks if that was the case as I was done.
I'll revisit later and post update.
. Image_2023-06-28 22_22_25_521.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That's a good twist, no problems there

Portables
Are the D+ and D- lines hooked up right? I've gotten them mixed up multiple times and had to swap them on the Wii pcb

Sorry for the delay. I hadn't much time to work on this for a bit and got back to it.
I purchased a SanDisk 256 gb card that was noted on the compatibility post here.
I didn't think to look and assumed what I had would work but later found out that my
readers were not compatible after I tested them on spare un trimmed modded wiis.

Anyway I got it working with the new card and rv loader loads. I had a few issues with
the red and green lines and corrected those along with a few others.

I still have to fix the up, left, and right directions on the directional pad. Down appears ok using the button/controller tester.

I think my scw and sdw lines need to be checked for good connections or more twisting. Not sure but maybe some can tell me either or I just do both. My temperature flickers occasionally.

GIF_2023-07-09-17-21-09.gif

Lastly when rv loader loads, I get this bar on the right side. I'm not too sure what is causing it.

GIF_2023-07-09-17-22-43.gif

I regret not creating a work log as I started working on this before I encountered my 1st issue.
Any additional help would be much appreciated and I am thankful for the help I have received so far.

Attachments

Last edited:
Portables
I might be wrong, but the light bar is something to do with the color of the background. Changing it to none should make the background one straight color. For me, choosing solarized and some other colors results in the background being about 60 percent covered. If you mean the black bar on the far right, that is caused be the screen auto configuring to a slightly off position. It can be fixed by opening the screen osd and running auto config.

I might be wrong, but the light bar is something to do with the color of the background. Changing it to none should make the background one straight color. For me, choosing solarized and some other colors results in the background being about 60 percent covered. If you mean the black bar on the far right, that is caused be the screen auto configuring to a slightly off position. It can be fixed by opening the screen osd and running auto config.
Ok ill have to find a way to open the osd.

Fixed both issues. Temporarily used the usb c btn and start btn to access the osd.
Ran auto config. Shorten wires from scw and sdw to wii board. Untwisted as I had them slightly
twisted. Stable now.

Noticed the left, right, and up directions on the directional pad aren't working or registering( Using button tester). Down works fine. That section of pcb was screw snug. I loosen it but only down still works. Rubber pad clean. Using gc oem controller parts and flex cable to connect controller pcb halfs. Continuity seem fine. Any ideas on what else I can check?

Portables
Noticed the left, right, and up directions on the directional pad aren't working or registering( Using button tester). Down works fine. That section of pcb was screw snug. I loosen it but only down still works. Rubber pad clean. Using gc oem controller parts and flex cable to connect controller pcb halfs. Continuity seem fine. Any ideas on what else I can check?
Post some pictures of your gc+

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The FFC soldering would also be useful to see

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Soldering looks good, nothing amiss there. When you checked continuity, did you check from the pads on the GC+ to the dpad button contacts? Also I'd give your GC+ a bit of a clean. There's some gunk on it that might be interfering.

Soldering looks good, nothing amiss there. When you checked continuity, did you check from the pads on the GC+ to the dpad button contacts? Also I'd give your GC+ a bit of a clean. There's some gunk on it that might be interfering.
Yes I did, I checked the d pads directly against the gc+. I did give it a clean. Tried again later then only up didn't work. I later decided to remove the ffc cable directly and connectors for it thinking possibly something was going on there.

I double checked joints and make sure there no bridging etc. Everything looked fine. I only work on it when I have time, which isn't much atm, so days elapse before I can get to it.

Unfortunately I don't know if those changes work because I now get a black screen after as opposed to the rv loader. (Goes from blue "VGA" then eventually to black. ). I feel so close that it has been a little frustrating. I've learned about many things along the way. I just need to see this through.

20230720_162916.jpg20230720_162913.jpgezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Last edited:
Portables
Yes I did, I checked the d pads directly against the gc+. I did give it a clean. Tried again later then only up didn't work. I later decided to remove the ffc cable directly and connectors for it thinking possibly something was going on there.

I double checked joints and make sure there no bridging etc. Everything looked fine. I only work on it when I have time, which isn't much atm, so days elapse before I can get to it.

Unfortunately I don't know if those changes work because I now get a black screen after as opposed to the rv loader. (Goes from blue "VGA" then eventually to black. ). I feel so close that it has been a little frustrating. I've learned about many things along the way. I just need to see this through.

View attachment 28787View attachment 28786View attachment 28788
I'd check your V-Sync and H-Sync wires again. If you aren't getting any output they are most likely the culprit.

I'd check your V-Sync and H-Sync wires again. If you aren't getting any output they are most likely the culprit.
Lmao, I wished I saw this earlier. But yes I figured it out it was that everything as I went back checking. I'll be glad when I can finally screw the two half together. Thank you with the quick assist.

Able to work on today. Think Directional buttons are sorted out. The rubber pad seems to need to sit just right. Since I'm still testing it, as long as the other buttons are working fine I'll focus on that when I think that is the last remaining things before I can put the two halves together completely.

I'm getting this error message now. Prior, everything with rv loader was loading fine until my previous issues with the directional buttons and black screen, now resolved. I was attempting to switch between themes during that time when I was going through settings. Nothing appeared to happened. So now sure if that is causing this.

I deleted the rv loader folder and put a fresh copy. Same issue. I entered safe mode and reinstalled rv loader. Still same issue. Has anyone seen this issue and or know what is causing it. I thought I was getting the defaults of rv loader when I reinstalled it at least.

20230722_125807.jpg