Solved Screen not seeing VGA output

Xyzven

So I have tested my wii build with the composite output and I get a good boot. All my items are detected as expected. RVloader 2.0 works well and I have no complaints.

ISSUE: Screen/driver board does not detect VGA output.

CHECKS:
- SHORT between R/G/B and ground: Resistance between R/G/B and ground is 75 ohms from the wii board, and with the screen driver board attached, it drops to 37 ohms. So I consider not shorted.
- Bad driver board: I have used two different driver boards to test.
- Select screen input: I have used the "driver selector" daughter board but it refuses to move to VGA and just turns off the screen.
- Mode does not have 3.3v: double checked TP47 has 3.3v on it (you can see where I draw power from in the very top of the image)
- RVLoader doesn't have VGA patched: Re-ran the installer in Safe boot and verified it was patched.
- Wires are bad: changed out wiring three times (so much so that I pulled the RED trace post cap)
- H/V sync are shorted or bridged: verified with meter that this is not the case and they go correctly to the board. (even tried swapping them in case the board is mislabelled)
- Is R/G/B outputting? I used a meter to check for voltage and I get voltage across them when TP47 is connected (although it's very little).

I'm lost as to where to go from there as everything else worked perfectly when using composite. I just dislike the resolution in composite and want to get VGA working. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg

Xyzven

FML, so after a lot of soldering on and off.... and a lot of testing, checking and reviewing, I decided I needed to see how the LCD board works and if it still changes source even if there was no signal.
I had two more screens (I used one as I assumed the board was bad) and the last screen was still bone stock. So I used it with my laptop and it worked flawlessly. I then switched SOURCE using the supplied breakout board switch and it switched to AV1 and then AV2 even with no signal. This left me wondering why my Ashida board was not doing this behaviour. So I decided to remove the only thing that I did not replicate on the bone stock driver board.... that was the connection to Z1 and Z2 (You can see at the top of the first pic with two yellow and one green wire).
This was the issue, the board had 3.3v high on those pins and refused to move to any other source and my wii board was fine all along as well as my original driver board.
:facepalm:

Of all the no good non-standard build things to do... I again made an assumption that Z1 and Z2 would only need to short to ground (like I tested them prior to installing the GC 2+) but never checked what they were going FROM. i.e. - NC to GND or 3.3V to GND. Me and my own buffoon headed thinking. Should have known better than to assume there would just be a short to ground and to just measure connectivity and not measure for the voltage.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
At you you figured it out! I'll add it to the list