Worklog The Wii Squared (4 Wii's in one shell)

Allright, as Shank predicted / warned me, connecting 4 Wii's using nitendont makes the game lag to a point where it's unplayable.

I don't wanna give up on my project just yet tho and figured i'd give it a try using devolution instead of nintendont since it has a completely different implementation of the BBA emulation.

Sadly I'm not able to make the Wii's find each other in DD Lan mode using devolution. I have set up all 4 Wii's with a static IP address in the same subnet connected to an unmanaged switch and the option "Mark Network connection as tested" enabled in Priiloader. This setup works for nintendont, but doesn't seem to work for devolution.

I know, that this probably isn't the right forum for that but maybe one of you guys have some experience with devolution and maybe knows how to fix it.

Thank you :)
Here are some discord servers that might be of help for your issue:

Extrems' (GC hacking god, knows as much on the Wii of course): https://discordapp.com/invite/7nBa2hww
Gamecube Online (mostly for GC and online play but they might have ideas regarding Devolution): https://discord.gg/J9399Mah
Webhdx's discord server: https://discord.gg/ZDNvukHE

Unfortunately, I think its unlikely members on this forum will be familiar with Devolution. The Bitbuilt and the Wii modding scene kicked into gear shortly after Nintendon't became a viable alternative. The few of us around before BB, Nintendont and the Wii portablizing revolution went straight from Dios Mios to Nintendont. If you do have success with Devolution, please follow up though.

As for alternatives if Devolution doesn't pan out, it does look like some alternative BBA solutions will be hitting the scene soon. @trevor403 has been working on FlippyDrive, a gamecube ode/modchip thing which may open some doors. It would likely work on the Wii as well, granted the Wii would run in gamecube mode, but that shouldn't be a problem for this build. WebHDX appears to be working on an alternative that utilizes the SP2 on the gamecube, so a gamecube-based build instead of a Wii build a possible avenue with that option.
Those are indeed some exciting news! Although i couldn't find any information that FlippyDrive is going to have BBA functionality, if it does it would be awesome!
The main reason I'm going for Wii's in that project is that i don't have the money to shell out for 4 GC BBA adapters, otherwise i wouldn't mind using Gamecubes anyways.

Just to follow up on work in progress stuff that could solve my problems, there is also Mario Kart Double Dash Deluxe which is a mod for mkdd that runs as a Wii homebrew and even will have online play functionality.

Anyways, i will continue trying to get Lan Play working with devolution and keep you guys updated :)

Bro, do you really have 15 friends to play double dash with?
Well it's not like i plan to play 16 player everyday. But 8 Players on one display displayed at the proper aspect ratio is something i'd see myself playing with friends now and then on the weekends.

But if i get it to work i definitly will host a 16 player turnament at least once ^^

Than you should probably only connect 2 wiis together. Save yourself the hard work.

--Double Post merged--

I was not tryna diss him, i was just sayin that its not very probable that he will have 15 people in one room on one wii with the short-ass cables on a gamecube controller

Last edited by a moderator:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Than you should probably only connect 2 wiis together. Save yourself the hard work.
I was not tryna diss him, i was just sayin that its not very probable that he will have 15 people in one room on one wii with the short-ass cables on a gamecube controller
Please do not double post, and please do not reply to threads unless you have something constructive to contribute to the discussion. If you are going to offer criticism of a project, at least make sure it is a thought out response.

Two wii's would suck on one display. The goal is to have one compact console that i can plug into any modern tv and just play.

And another benefit of 4 wii's would be the increased resolution.

Hard work is relative, i wouldn't do this if i wouldn't enjoy tinkering and hardware modding ;)

he said himself he will prolly only play 8 player once in a while, so he could just save some work and only hook up 2 wiis

--double post merged--

Two wii's would suck on one display. The goal is to have one compact console that i can plug into any modern tv and just play.

And another benefit of 4 wii's would be the increased resolution.

Hard work is relative, i wouldn't do this if i wouldn't enjoy tinkering and hardware modding ;)
ah, that is fair. well, follow your dreams. i would like to help you in any way i can because this project is indeed really cool. one small problem: it says that it does lan play just fine. now i dont really understand devolution, like shank noted, but i dont reallly understand the problem. also you would need tofind a way to connect them all at the same time to the same tv and you need like 4 plugs

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
he said himself he will prolly only play 8 player once in a while, so he could just save some work and only hook up 2 wiis

--double post merged--

ah, that is fair. well, follow your dreams. i would like to help you in any way i can because this project is indeed really cool. one small problem: it says that it does lan play just fine. now i dont really understand devolution, like shank noted, but i dont reallly understand the problem. also you would need tofind a way to connect them all at the same time to the same tv and you need like 4 plugs
If you check the video I posted sometime before when i tested with 3 Wii's you can see that i already have them running on one monitor using a HDMI Multiviewer.
It works suprisingly well without adding any noticeable input lag ^^

Great news!
Devolution doesn't seem to have the same problem like nintendont with bba emulation.

Although it has a different problem, i wasn't able to find other devolution instances in mkkd lan play, but it can find other systems running nintendont.

So i just tested 3 nintendont instances and one devolution instance and it basically works as well as having just 3 nintendont instances.

I only had one short stutter at the beginning of the course then it ran through perfectly. Here's a so you can check for yourself.

Now i'm pretty sure the best performance would be archieved if i can get all consoles to find each other via devolution.

Will keep tinkering! :)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Great news!
Devolution doesn't seem to have the same problem like nintendont with bba emulation.
This is really awesome to hear! Please keep us updated on your troubleshooting journey. I will for sure be following this thread. If devolution turns out to be a viable setup, I may have to get it running in my own home setup as well.

Did some more testing today, but sadly still didn't manage to get two devolution instances to recognise each other.

I did some wiresharking and it seems the wii's running devolution are missing the Broadcast messages.

I attached the Wireshark logs for each configuration, maybe someone more network savy then me can help me

Devolution_Devolution --> never found each other.
Nintendont_Devolution --> Works
Nintendont_Nintendont --> Works

Sorry if this starts to get offtopic, just tell me if i should move the troubleshooting of devolution to a different forum.

Attachments