Worklog The WiiXL

I've decided to start posting a worklog for this project because I want to finish it by the end of the summer and this will probably motivate me to work on it more often. I'm using a soft-case xl that I have had for awhile and I decided to put it to use because it was just sitting on my workbench. More progress will be coming soon but I do have one question. What would be the most ideal heatsink set up for the Wii? I would prefer to use the stock heat sink but I don't know how much cooling the Wii requires.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've shortened my stock heatsink to about 6mm tall (including fins) and that stays cool as long as there is a fan moving the air. The Wii doesn't require nearly as much cooling as the gamecube did

Alright so here is an extreme over a year super bump. I decided to update the same work log because I haven't completed any wii portables and I've essentially been working on and off on this project and other things like school :( but I've completely abandoned the case that I was using because it wasn't durable at all and I've switched to 3d printing because I prefer that over franken-casing.

Render of the case

WiinerNew1-012.png

What it looks like on the inside

WiinerNew1-01.png

Nice shot of the Wii I'm using I might have to trim it a bit smaller than the omgwtf because my case is a little cramped. I left the usb on there so I wouldn't have to relocate it at the time.

IMG_4280.JPG

Also if anyone has any tips on how to mount 3ds sliders in a case without using glue or epoxy I would really appreciate them. I tried to do it but the slider won't stay put unfortunately. I also tried using screws but couldn't find any that fit.

IMG_4279.JPG

This is as far as I got with the old case I stopped working on it because I used to much epoxy and when I pressed on the ABXY buttons the plastic cracked so I abandoned it. Frankencasing really sucks

Messedupcase.JPG

Dead Wiis and Memes

IMG_4231.JPG