Solved Trimmed Wii board not booting

Xyzven

So I am a fairly experienced hobbist and decided I wanted to build something rather than just troubleshoot broken items. I got myself a 4-layer Wii and all the Ashida accoutrements from 4layer and PCBWay. I've been watching and following GingerofVOD for tips, tricks, and technique as well as reading through the Bitbuilt forums.

ok on to the question: I've trimmed my RVLoader softmodded wii and I can't get it to boot up with PMS2-Lite.

Things I've done:
1. Tested the Wii before trimming.
2. Relocated the bluetooth and tested the Wii before trimming.
3. Removed the AV connector prior to trimming and wired it up for testing.
4. Trimmed my board (successfully) and sanded.
5. Relocated U10 as I wanted as much wiring on the board as possible (and it was better IMO). I have confirmed I have cut the trace line (twice at two different locations; once under the U5 location and once outisde close to the "C6" text)
6. Did my Ohms check prior to powering it on and got good results (reading all of Wesk's update here).
COM \ +1V1.15V1.8V3.3V
GND11731368.27 k
1V1571568.39k
1.15V678.28k
1.8V8.25k
7. Checked output on my PMS with it powered on and get the appropriate voltages.
8. Checked for continuity between my wires (just in case).
9. Wires are coloured per the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide; Specifically, YELLOW = 1V, ORANGE = 3.3V (I reserved RED for 5V), DARK BLUE = 1.15V, BLACK = Ground, VIOLET = 1.8V (but it's not needed since I still have the LDO on).
10. I have lower AWG wire for the battery terminals that is BLACK so I had to use it for positive and negative. Polarities are confirmed and checked with a multimeter.

Issues I experience:
1. The CPU/GPU do not get warm but I can't be too sure as RVLoader will error out and should not put a heavy load.
2. The Fan turns on.
3. The addressable LED does NOT turn on.
4. I do not get a composite output.

I'm clearly missing something so I could use some additional advice and direction. Thanks.

IMG-1094.jpg
IMG-1095.jpg
IMG-1096.jpg

Xyzven

I was going to be argumentative (like a fool) as I was only using the wires to test power on but then realized two things.
1. When asking for help, consider all advice rather than oppose it.
2. Try the advice, I am in no less of a loss.

So I devised a method to double up on each wired connector and although I didn't get composite output, I *DID* get the CPU warming up to the touch (ever so slightly). I will be fixing this with new wiring (I prefer colour coded) and will re-test.

Thanks much for the direction for my error in judgement of the wire gauge. Appreciate the time CrazyGadget. I'll leave this open till I re-test and then will mark solved if this is the fix. If not, we will continue with the diagnosis. :-)

Xyzven

@CrazyGadget , confirmed you are right. Used some 10 AWG (6mm) solid core enamled wire I had lying around and clearly there was not enough amperage going through for the boot. Booted to a proper screen and yelped in joy and annoyance that I forgot basic electronics.

thank you again.
unnamed.jpg

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Nice!! Glad it's all working. Definitely sub out that wire for some 22awg stranded for your final assembly, 10awg is pretty overkill for the job and solid core doesn't bend well and could snap / take components with it if too much strain is put on it.

Xyzven

Yeah, I already ordered some thicker gauge. I just needed to get the boot going as I needed to be sure my trim was good as well as my U10 relocation. Thanks for the advice, 22AWG stranded coming tomorrow. :awesome:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
If you're using the included RGB led, you'll need to go into the RVLoader settings and set it to the correct LED type for it to show any colors. It's set to simple led by default instead of the addressable RGB one.

Xyzven

@GingerOfOz, Thanks for the "How to Trim a Wii (Full Demo)" on the Tube... much better to watch and learn as compared to the Ashiba build video. I know the Ashida was just a quick build and record so I tried to glean as much as I could from that. The Trim video addressed quite a bit of items that I needed to know. Much love!