Question Trimming a Wii vs PS2

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
Hi,

I've been looking at the prospect of building a either a PS2 or Wii portable since the university I study at has an entire makerspace (A gold mine for tools). From a conceptual standpoint, both trimming guides seem straight forward, but I'm not a soldering expert. What would you guys recommend starting with?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
The Wii is definitely more beginner friendly due to the sheer amount of documentation, both through all the guides / manuals / compendium and all of the available worklogs. There's also some more available portablizing tech available for it (ala the RVL-PMS / PMS-PD) to make the design / build process a whole lot nicer. All that being said, I wouldn't want to discourage you from playing around with the PS2. I'm just saying the Wii is probably your best bet for easing yourself into the hobby. That's just my two cents though!

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
The Wii is definitely more beginner friendly due to the sheer amount of documentation, both through all the guides / manuals / compendium and all of the available worklogs. There's also some more available portablizing tech available for it (ala the RVL-PMS / PMS-PD) to make the design / build process a whole lot nicer. All that being said, I wouldn't want to discourage you from playing around with the PS2. I'm just saying the Wii is probably your best bet for easing yourself into the hobby. That's just my two cents though!
Should've read this before buying a 79000x selling for cheap. Guess my first portable is a PS2. Fewer things to relocate, and I'll have to start from scratch. This will be a fun experience.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
The PS2 trim is actually a lot simpler overall in my point of view as the basic trim retains the stock regulators whereas the Wii trim requires an additional set of regulators to run. The software side of things is a lot better on the Wii however. I'd say the "difficulty" of making a portable for either is quite comparable.