Question Using the Wi-Fi socket+pcb for relocations

I’m attempting to build an omgwtf trimmed wii and I’d love to get Wi-Fi relocation working. Is it possible to wire to the socket legs the mobo instead of the socket on the Wi-Fi card itself. Space is NOT at a premium here so any way to make the soldering easier would be great.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Looking at the socket on the mobo, it looks like you could cut it out and then solder your wires to the vias, but that seems like it would be harder than just removing the connector on the Wifi module and soldering to the pads like this (pic courtesy of ShockSlayer):

wifi.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Viilmo

Portables
Maybe you could make a Flexpcb that you can connect to the 6 data pins that has the socket on it. Would make wifi relocation way easier.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just remember: the Wifi relocation wires need to be as short as physically possible or they will act fucky

dababy

Sorry I’m not super “learned” on the Wi-Fi relocation but why do the wires have to be as short as possible?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
They're very sensitive to EM interference. You can mitigate it somewhat with shielded wire, but the wires still need to be quite short even with shielding. I vaguely remember 25mm-40mm being about as long as the wires can be before reliablity becomes a problem. Ideally you want them shorter than an inch