Question What DS is a good size for a Wii Portable

Linx87

I am planning on making a wii portable later this year
I wanted to fit a trimmed wii into a member of the ds family with ds being in between a cut in half gamecube controller shell
which DS would be big enough for a trimmed wii
or if you know something that would work better for this but is still ds like (Basically folds closed) let me know

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I am planning on making a wii portable later this year
I wanted to fit a trimmed wii into a member of the ds family with ds being in between a cut in half gamecube controller shell
which DS would be big enough for a trimmed wii
or if you know something that would work better for this but is still ds like (Basically folds closed) let me know
Do you have access to a 3d printer? Most projects I see like this design their case in something like Autocad and 3d print it so it matches exactly the size they want.

I don't have a 3d printer, so I made my Wii portable into a laptop style using a zn-40 and zn-45 housing and used hinges to connect the two halves. That's kind of an old method though, I think most people have moved on from the zn days.

The biggest issue I see with using a ds housing is the space needed for cooling the Wii. The Wii board itself might fit in a ds xl housing, but you wouldn't have room to cool it and fit batteries.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You are gonna be really hard pressed to fit all that in a DS housing, even one as big as the XL line. Small portables are really, really hard. Clamshells are really, really hard. Small clamshells are, well, extremely difficult, even for a seasoned veteran. I would suggest starting a project that is much less ambitious. Trim a board, hold it in your hand and use that to decide on the size and shape of your portable.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I'd check Madmorda's Wii S lite, Or Aurelio's Portable, (Ik i'me forgeting a few good ones) those are good examples of Clamshells.

I'm (and another meme) gonna attempt at putting a wii in a dsi xl, but it's hell.

3d printing and modeling are the better ways to go

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Well for starters, I'd like to say please don't make a clamshell. Even larger ones are a huge pain, and a ds sized one is something even veterans would struggle with.

That said, if you're adamant about making a clamshell in a ds, afaik the ds phat is the only one thick enough to hold a wii, and it's even smaller than my wii s lite. (Not even including the odd shape, which will definitely restrict you even more.

If you don't want a clamshell so much as a GameCube controller with a fold down screen, I would recommend maybe something designed sort of like this. Hip gear makes these and I have the ps2 one.

20180628_110640.png

The screen folds down over the buttons. You could make something similar, but with a space in between the halves so that the screen isn't ever pressed onto the joysticks. That sounds like what you're describing and doesn't require you to fit a wii into a ds :P