Solved Why does my Wii turn on without pressing power button?

I just tried to test my trim and battery connections, but when I soldered the wires to the PMS, it instantly turned on and would not turn off when pressing the power button. My first thought was that the btn pin was shorted to ground, but this is not the case, as I tested and got no continuity until the button was pressed. These are the best images I could get, sorry if they're not very good.

UPDATE:
I just took the PMS out of the case, desoldered everything, and connected only the button, batteries, and screen (as a power indicator) and the exact same thing happens. It turns on immediately when the batteries are connected, and will not turn off at the press of a button. This is really strange, as I know for certain that everything worked perfectly fine when I initially trimmed the Wii, so the only difference now is that I have a 2s2p battery config instead of just a single battery

Attachments

Last edited:
I just tried to test my trim and battery connections, but when I soldered the wires to the PMS, it instantly turned on and would not turn off when pressing the power button. My first thought was that the btn pin was shorted to ground, but this is not the case, as I tested and got no continuity until the button was pressed. These are the best images I could get, sorry if they're not very good.

UPDATE:
I just took the PMS out of the case, desoldered everything, and connected only the button, batteries, and screen (as a power indicator) and the exact same thing happens. It turns on immediately when the batteries are connected, and will not turn off at the press of a button. This is really strange, as I know for certain that everything worked perfectly fine when I initially trimmed the Wii, so the only difference now is that I have a 2s2p battery config instead of just a single battery
This might be a stupid question, but have you tried holding the power button for a couple seconds? I’ve had similar issues with an untrimmed Wii running RVLoader, and my solution was to straight up unplug the power, but I know that’s not really a possibility for your case. Also you are using the power button built in to the PMS PD, right?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
2S2P battery config? All cells need to be in parallel, if you're feeding 7.4v to your PMS then that's very bad

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Screenshot_20231028_161248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks like a kaboomed BQ to me. 2S will do that! No PMS revision (from 4Layer or Gunnar's original) supported 2S. Gotta follow the 4Layer wiring diagrams!

Take a close up pic of that chip, it's likely blown.

View attachment 30476
Looks like a kaboomed BQ to me. 2S will do that! No PMS revision (from 4Layer or Gunnar's original) supported 2S. Gotta follow the 4Layer wiring diagrams!

Take a close up pic of that chip, it's likely blown.
If it turns out that the chip is dead, will I be able to buy a replacement chip, or will I have to get a new PMS? Regardless, when I get home (currently on day-trip to beach), I'll reconfigure the batteries and hope. The PMS did still give correct voltages, but also after a minute or so of trying to figure it out I did notice some magic smoke. Immediately desoldered batteries but then retested a few minutes later and it still worked. The magic smoke is disheartening, but the fact that it still worked regardless does definitely give a little hope. When I inspected, nothing appeared blown, but again, I'll check again when I can. Thank you for the information though!

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Yeah, magic smoke definitely means something is busted. If the BQ is blown, DM me, I'm no stranger to replacing blown BQs!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Really? Every G-Wii worklog I've seen says that they used 2s2p (I think); anyways, I'll try that when I get the chance
Originally the G-Wii did use 2s2p with PTH08080 regulators, but nowdays we mostly use 1s arrangements thanks to the convenience of the PMS boards and the affordability of custom PCB maufacturing. It's important to double check the parameters of any product before wiring it up. Fortunately the BQ burning out will usually save the other components, so with any luck replacing the BQ will bring your PMS back to life.

Yeah, magic smoke definitely means something is busted. If the BQ is blown, DM me, I'm no stranger to replacing blown BQs!
Originally the G-Wii did use 2s2p with PTH08080 regulators, but nowdays we mostly use 1s arrangements thanks to the convenience of the PMS boards and the affordability of custom PCB maufacturing. It's important to double check the parameters of any product before wiring it up. Fortunately the BQ burning out will usually save the other components, so with any luck replacing the BQ will bring your PMS back to life.
As suspected, BQ is definitely blown. I searched the part, but kept getting multiple different results. Is there a link or part number that I can look up for a replacement?

Portables
When I looked that up, I got BQ24292IRGER and BQ24292IRGET. Do you know if there is any real difference between the two?
Got this from 4layertech discord when i needed to replace mine