Solved Why is the Wii not turning on?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Alright, well the 3.3v short is gone. That's one problem down. Next, can you explain what you mean by "not getting power to the board"? Have you measured the output voltages of the PMS without the Wii connected? I'd give your PMS a clean and do that.

So I cleaned up the PMS and I measured the points on the board and some parts would get power but the 3.3v, 1v, 1.15v, and the 1.8v were all not getting power

Portables
So I cleaned up the PMS and I measured the points on the board and some parts would get power but the 3.3v, 1v, 1.15v, and the 1.8v were all not getting power
How are you testing for power? Do you have 1 or 2 batteries hooked up?

Viilmo

Portables
Also just so you don't make that mistake like others unfortunatly have, if you're wiring 2 batteries, you have to wire them in parallel. Connecting them in series WILL kill your PMS

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'd also check the voltages of your batteries. They may be below the PMS safety shutoff threshold

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I tried both batteries and I got nothing. They are both 3.18v.
3.18v means the cells are effectively empty and below the PMS max safe discharge threshold. The cells need a full charge before the PMS will turn on

Sorry for the late response I have been busy lately. I charged the batteries and now I am getting 3.6v going to the pms but I am not getting anything on the 3.3v 1v 1.15v or the 1.8v.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
And you've definitely wired the power button correctly?

I think so. I wired one wire to the pad that says BTN and the other wire to ground they are both wired to a button. I measured it with my multimeter and it said there was a good connection.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just making sure, BTN doesn't have continuity with ground when the button isn't pressed right?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Can you post photos of the current wiring?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The only thing I see potentially out of place is that SCW and SDW look like they might be shorted. Aside from that, I see nothing visually wrong.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It could be. There are a couple more things we can check before calling it. The first that comes to mind is to try holding the power button down and see if the console boots. It's possible that the PMS was accidentally set to power switch mode instead of button mode.