Worklog Wii portable called Wii TV

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I don't see any indication that the board accepts 5v natively, but it can probably be modded to run on 5V by bypassing the onboard stepdown regulator

I don't see any indication that the board accepts 5v natively, but it can probably be modded to run on 5V by bypassing the onboard stepdown regulator
I presumed plugging it into the Wiis usb port would provide sufficient power but I guess I'll wait till it arrives. If it does require 12 volts I'll try bypassing the Stepdown regulator.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I don't see a USB-C or MicroUSB port on the board. I only see the 12v barrel jack socket, but it's worth a try when it arrives.

So after numerous delays the screen arrived it runs on my laptop usb but not on my Wii or plug I guess I have to remove a regulator wondering how to do that

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
It's also possible that the Wii's USB ports just don't supply enough current to run that screen

It's also possible that the Wii's USB ports just don't supply enough current to run that screen
If that's the case which I think it might be as it just flashes would the best solution be to try and get the power from the batteries separately

Viilmo

Portables
Do you plan to use VGA?
Also make sure the way you want to power it is actually possible and good

Do you plan to use VGA?
Also make sure the way you want to power it is actually possible and good
I don't really know how to wire VGA and I would need to install rvloader which I don't plan to do.
My plan to power it is lion 18650 cells I will have to see how much room is free.

Portables
I don't really know how to wire VGA and I would need to install rvloader which I don't plan to do.
My plan to power it is lion 18650 cells I will have to see how much room is free.
How about cellphone/tablet batteries? They are thinner than 18650

Portables
KiWii Portable (In progress)
How about cellphone/tablet batteries? They are thinner than 18650
Old laptop batteries would be a great alternative definitely, they are thin, powerful, light weight, and hold quite a lot of capacity, only thing though is they are rated for upwards of 14.8 volts (4 cells in series), you could definitely rewire it for 4 cells in parallel, but it depends on the cell structure, which is very inconsistent between manufacturers.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you don't need/want to keep the disc drive functional, you can remove the drive housing and just keep the little daughterboard PCB in the drive that connects to the motherboard via a ribbon cable and a JST connector. Keeping the disc drive daughterboard connected will trick the Wii into thinking that the entire drive is still there, and allow conventional SD and USB game loaders to work without RVLoader's patches

I wasn't planning to use tablet batteries as I thought they were more expensive and dangerous. I don't have any laptop batteries that still hold charge to spare but there is a local place that sells 18650 and if I buy a battery holder and wire them all up to the BMS etc. I didn't even realise I needed rvloader to boot games off usb without a disc board I just saw that it all booted up and thought it would work but I'll install it on to the Wii

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Calls to the disc drive are made when launching Wii games and I believe some other softwares as well. You can boot the Wii without a disc drive, but you won't be able to run most things

So I still need to wire up a usb port but don't have any solder right now but was wondering if I could just connect the screen board to the 12v from the Wii PSU brick till I get the batteries etc or is the amperage to high

Portables
Be free to use it, the devices only draws the required current to work

Just be careful to not short wires while the power is turned on