Guide Wii Trim Resistances

i am also new to measuring resistances, at the 20k ohm setting i am getting very low readings on most of the points, the only ones i can seem to match are the 8-9k resistances of the 3.3v row. i also don’t know where to measure 1.8v i checked the wii training guide and it shows spots for 1v 1.15v 3.3v and 5v but no 1.8v unless i totally misread it.
Hello modmanmac. The 1.8v points are the spots highlighted in red on the top.

PXL_20230430_225230721~2.jpg

For your other question, you have to use the 20k setting for 3.3v and the 200 setting for everything else.

Hello modmanmac. The 1.8v points are the spots highlighted in red on the top.

View attachment 27436

For your other question, you have to use the 20k setting for 3.3v and the 200 setting for everything else.
awesome i’ll give it a try tonight thank you, so my 3.3v was perfect all the way across but i’ll have to go back with the 200 setting and check the rest

soda

Hi guys, I'm getting some odd values and I'm not sure what exactly to do. I've sanded edges from 180 -> 600 (the highest I have), cleaned the board with alcohol, and removed parts that were cut in half. This is my first trim so if I made a big mistake let me know, below are images of the board. Please note that I have NOT tested this board and don't know whether these values will work or not; that's what I'm asking about. Thanks!
Resistances1.png

WiiFront.jpg

WiiBack.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi guys, I'm getting some odd values and I'm not sure what exactly to do. I've sanded edges from 180 -> 600 (the highest I have), cleaned the board with alcohol, and removed parts that were cut in half. This is my first trim so if I made a big mistake let me know, below are images of the board. Please note that I have NOT tested this board and don't know whether these values will work or not; that's what I'm asking about. Thanks! View attachment 27633
View attachment 27636
View attachment 27637
You have some copper and fibreglass dust on the board still. I'd give the whole thing a good brush off and re-take the measurements

soda

Cleaned it up, still have problems. I assume it’s with these nicks in the board that expose some copper, pictured below. What would you suggest I do? I think I can use a dremel to sand down past them for some of them would that help? Thanks.
IMG_4876.jpeg

This gash is my main worry

IMG_4874.jpeg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Cleaned it up, still have problems. I assume it’s with these nicks in the board that expose some copper, pictured below. What would you suggest I do? I think I can use a dremel to sand down past them for some of them would that help? Thanks.
View attachment 27638

This gash is my main worry

View attachment 27640
Little nicks like that are fine. The small strands of copper that are sticking out the side of the trim are another matter, those need to go

soda

Bought and used up to 1200 grit sandpaper, edges are as smooth as can be with no strands. I'm left with these values, is it worth a try?
1684695358306.png

I ask because it seems to be on the extremely low side of 1v - 1.8v

Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Bought and used up to 1200 grit sandpaper, edges are as smooth as can be with no strands. I'm left with these values, is it worth a try?
View attachment 27644

Thanks
Yeah that should be fine. The nominal resistances vary a bit from unit, and that looks within functional range

View attachment 27644

Thanks
like stitches said it seems to be good there are a few oddities but mine was a little low on resistance in some spots but still ended up booting no problem ! so if i had to guess i would say it should be fine as well, keep us posted when you test it, maybe give the board a once over with some iso get all the dust off from sanding (:

Hi guys, total noob here. I just trimmed my first wii and i don't know what to expect. I'm worried about certain spots on the edges where the holes go through the board. Is it ok or they will make a short? I also post my resistances. Thank you all and appreciate your help.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi guys, total noob here. I just trimmed my first wii and i don't know what to expect. I'm worried about certain spots on the edges where the holes go through the board. Is it ok or they will make a short? I also post my resistances. Thank you all and appreciate your help.
Those are vias, and they're meant to connect layers together. Your resistances look okay, doesn't look like you have any shorts between the voltages

Thank you so much! I sanded until 240 grit. Do the layers look ok? Or should i continue sanding up to 1000 grit?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Do at least a pass with 400 and 600 grit to get the jaggedies out

Here are my results
1686598867988.png

Unable to test yet. Does this look fine?
The numbers are similar to the ones someone got on a RVL-CPU-60 OMGWTF trim but quite different from what another person who did the same trim on the same board got.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Here are my results
View attachment 28098
Unable to test yet. Does this look fine?
The numbers are similar to the ones someone got on a RVL-CPU-60 OMGWTF trim but quite different from what another person who did the same trim on the same board got.
Looks good

Mark19

Portables
Hello, I don't know if my results are ok, its my second try trimming a wii and I dont want to do it a third time so I would want to know if they are good enough, also, (GND/1v) chages every time I sand the board, every time i do it, it needs to "recover??" is this usual? thx in advance
1687187532715.png

Edit: the values have changed to this after a while:
Captura5.PNG

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello, I don't know if my results are ok, its my second try trimming a wii and I dont want to do it a third time so I would want to know if they are good enough, also, (GND/1v) chages every time I sand the board, every time i do it, it needs to "recover??" is this usual? thx in advanceView attachment 28247
Edit: the values have changed to this after a while:
View attachment 28252
I'm not sure about the recovery time thing, but the resistances look okay

SartoZ

Portables
Hello everyone! Can someone help me and evalue my results? thanks!

Immagine.png

I've sanded down to 1000 grit twice and these seem to be my consistent results. Are the high 3.3v readings ok or is that an indication of a short somewhere?

Resistances test 1.jpg