Question Ashida needing some final help

Hey everyone, after a long time, I came back to the portablizing scene to finally finish a project. I decided to go with an Ashida due to its wonderful design and low skill level required.

I’ve had a great time building it and am quite pleased with the final project. I only have two issues with it I was hoping to get some clarification with.

1. I’m using a U-Amp 2 and have connected WS, D, C, MC, L + and -, R + and -, HS and S. I’ve also connected 1.8v, 3.3v , GND, and blobbed J3. The U-Amp doesn’t show up in RVLoader, and I’m sure I’ve forgotten some wires. Are IL and IR necessary? Do I need to solder SCL and SDA to SCW and SDW on the PMS-Lite, respectively? Any help is appreciated, I’m positive this is a dumb question.

2. It’s not really necessary to be fixed, but with the T- wire connected the fan only spins really slow, no matter the settings in RVLoader or the temperature of the Wii. I’ve just set the fan to max at all times, which I don’t mind in the slightest, but is there any possible solution?

Sorry for the possibly uneducated questions, but I couldn’t find clear answers anywhere else on the forum. Thanks for any and all help.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You don't need IL or IR if you're using i2s digital audio, but you do need SCL and SDA wired up for RVLoader to detect the U-AMP. Daisy chaining off SCW and SDW on the PMS works fine

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You don't need IL or IR if you're using i2s digital audio, but you do need SCL and SDA wired up for RVLoader to detect the U-AMP. Daisy chaining off SCW and SDW on the PMS works fine
When using the U-Amp with the analog pot control (or buttons for digital control), you do not need to wire up SCW / SDW to the Wii, they are only needed if you're controlling the U-Amp via WiiHUD. I have found that wiring up SCW / SDW when using analog controls causes some kind of miscommunication to / from the amp since you then have 2 microcontrollers telling the amp IC what to do, causing issues on the Wii. Looking at the 4Layer diagrams, they show no connection for SCW / SDW to the U-Amp on the Ashida Boards listing.

That was where my confusion came from, since the 4Layer diagrams didn’t show to wire SCW and SDW, I didn’t think to do so. But if I do daisy chain SCW and SDW, I get audio, but like you said, it’s a bit weird with both microcontrollers present. Only problem is that I don’t know the next best way to get audio out without SDW / SCW.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
You should still get audio without those lines connected to the U-Amp, it just won't show the U-Amp being present in RVLoader.

Thanks so much for the help, it has helped to solve the issue with audio, just a few last things before I’m done for real:

1. I’ve installed the Bluetooth chip, and I know that it works because I can connect Wii remotes and open the Wii menu, but when I do, it’s only audio and no video. Video is fine with everything else, what could be the problem?

2. I’ve found a game (LEGO Star Wars) that asks for the nunchuck to be connected even though the nunchuck is connected in GC2Wiimote, is this a known issue? There is another game (Kirby’s Return to Dreamland) that seems to boot successfully, but never displays on the screen, is this a known issue?

Sorry again for all the questions, everybody here answering the repetitive, possibly stupid questions are saints. Thanks!

Portables
working on No.1
1. I’ve installed the Bluetooth chip, and I know that it works because I can connect Wii remotes and open the Wii menu, but when I do, it’s only audio and no video. Video is fine with everything else, what could be the problem?
Probably an interference issue. try re- doing the bluetooth data lines as short as possible with tightly twisted magnet wire and keeping it far apart from the video signal wires.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
Thanks so much for the help, it has helped to solve the issue with audio, just a few last things before I’m done for real:

2. I’ve found a game (LEGO Star Wars) that asks for the nunchuck to be connected even though the nunchuck is connected in GC2Wiimote, is this a known issue? There is another game (Kirby’s Return to Dreamland) that seems to boot successfully, but never displays on the screen, is this a known issue?

Sorry again for all the questions, everybody here answering the repetitive, possibly stupid questions are saints. Thanks!
Not an interference issue. Iirc it's an issue with either RVLoader or the Wii trying to spit out 480i, which this driver board will not handle over VGA. One of the two, I can't remember. Either way, it's normal behavior for an Ashida.

Portables
working on No.1
Not an interference issue. Iirc it's an issue with either RVLoader or the Wii trying to spit out 480i, which this driver board will not handle over VGA. One of the two, I can't remember. Either way, it's normal behavior for an Ashida.
my mistake

Is there any solution to this? Isn’t there a force 480p in system menu hack through priiloader?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
RVLoader and Priiloader can both try to force 480p output, but certain games will just refuse