Discussion So PS4's games can apparently run off of USB's soon...

Mumble

Portables
So, in case you haven't heard, Sony tweeted not too long ago that there will be an update with USB's / External HDD's.

If this is really a thing, and since we can already get a PS4 OS running on any HDD by just downloading it off there website
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

So yeah this is pushing it a bit, and we don't even have PS3 portable's yet. But could it be possible to create something smaller with the PS4 OS on it, rather than straight up trimming it and having it on a battery? Obviously the specs on it would have to be lower, and it would have to be much cooler (My PS4 personally get's warm pretty quick when I play a game), but think how cool it would be to play something like Super Meat Boy on a PS4 OS, with a PS4 Controller, on a "Technically" portablized device.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't even built my first portable yet, I just thought the concept of doing something like this would be interesting and thought it would be cool to bring up as a discussion.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
So, in case you haven't heard, Sony tweeted not too long ago that there will be an update with USB's / External HDD's.

If this is really a thing, and since we can already get a PS4 OS running on any HDD by just downloading it off there website
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

So yeah this is pushing it a bit, and we don't even have PS3 portable's yet. But could it be possible to create something smaller with the PS4 OS on it, rather than straight up trimming it and having it on a battery? Obviously the specs on it would have to be lower, and it would have to be much cooler (My PS4 personally get's warm pretty quick when I play a game), but think how cool it would be to play something like Super Meat Boy on a PS4 OS, with a PS4 Controller, on a "Technically" portablized device.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't even built my first portable yet, I just thought the concept of doing something like this would be interesting and thought it would be cool to bring up as a discussion.
No...

The thing about "creating something smaller" is the hardware specifications would have to match perfectly because the OS is probably not designed to run on anything else so odds are any effort would be futile.

Also, we won't have PS3/Xbox 360 "portables" aside from a laptop. All these new consoles are are underclocked PCs with custom operating systems. The power usage is pretty big and there is no trimming potential to them.

Mumble

Portables
No...

The thing about "creating something smaller" is the hardware specifications would have to match perfectly because the OS is probably not designed to run on anything else so odds are any effort would be futile.

Also, we won't have PS3/Xbox 360 "portables" aside from a laptop. All these new consoles are are underclocked PCs with custom operating systems. The power usage is pretty big and there is no trimming potential to them.
Oh...I guess that would make sense for Sony to do something like that. Who knows though, maybe one day into the future when I'm like 90 we'll have PS4's in our pockets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Who knows though, maybe one day into the future when I'm like 90 we'll have PS4's in our pockets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
By then they'll have come out with processors that can emulate the current processors at super low power probably :P
But yeah, I've looked at some docs that I shouldn't have access to, and for sure PS3 is not gonna be portable...