Wii portable discussion

Hey guys I’m 18 and currently in the process of deciding the design I want to go for, (don’t fret, my uncle is helping me build it and has experience with modding). I have a few questions, firstly being, is it possible to grab all the components from a switch and use that. In other words can I simply swap the switch board with a OMGWTF cut wii? Or is there more that I’m missing? Secondly is it possible to use a lithium ion battery from a phone or switch instead of the cell batteries everyone uses? And lastly for right now, if I can’t use Nintendo switch components, where can I purchase the buttons and analog sticks?

Portables
For the moment… none.
I don’t know about switch components. but you can buy the “joysticks, D-pad and abxy buttons” from these links:

You’ll probably be able to buy the D-pad from somewhere else. But I don’t know where.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
is it possible to grab all the components from a switch and use that. In other words can I simply swap the switch board with a OMGWTF cut wii? Or is there more that I’m missing?
No, you can't just swap the boards. It isn't that simple. You can use joycon sticks and buttons/dpad for controls easily enough, but to make a portable work you also need power management, an audio amplifier and speakers, a controller circuit, an LCD screen with a driver board that accepts standard video outputs, and a shitton of assorted wire.

You're going to want to read through Electronics 101, The general and Wii sections of the Guide Hub, Ginger's Tools and Materials Guide, and the G-Boy manual to get a practical idea of what this will all entail.