Question Best first portable?

Portables
1 (In Progress)
Hi, I'm brand new to portablizing and wanted some help with choosing what to build as my first portable. I really want to make a louii, as i love the look of it and the customization, but I heard it's not the best for beginners like me. I saw the Ashida, and I think it's okay but I don't really like the look. However, I heard it's really beginner friendly. I want to make a portable that I can take outside without getting really weird looks haha. What do i choose? suggest other portables if you think that other options are better.
also..

how the fuck do wires work

-haru

An understanding of basic electronics goes a long way.
There is a GBOY manual guide. Although kits aren't available anymore it gives you the general assembly of a Wii portable.
Don't know much about the Ashida though I know parts are readily available for it. If you go the GBOY route you'll have to order PCBS from a manufacturer.
Both are good options.
There's also the G-wii but I dunno if someone updated it for 4layertech boards but it also is a good beginner's choice.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
If you're brand new to electronics projects I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing a louii or ashida.

They're "beginner friendly" in the sense that they are the more simple Wii portables to build since they're thoroughly documented to the point where you can build one start to finish without any guess work.

This still requires a decent knowledge of soldering, wiring, reading schematics, motherboard cutting and modification, performing resistance checks, creating twisted wire pairs, etc.

They can also be kinda pricey too. Both of those portables will cost ~$250-350

I think a more beginner friendly project would be a raspberry pi project like the PiGRRL or Pi Game Boy Color

Majority of the soldering is minimal skill since it's just to the 40 pin header on the Pi. Or a PCB board. Unlike the very difficult solder connections you'll need to make on the Wii motherboard vias and AVE chip.

These projects are thoroughly documented in a very beginner friendly format as well.