Question Help designing a Wii Portable aka the Budii

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you are planning on using some kind of battery holder then you can get one of the button or flat top ones, but if you plan to solder wires directly to the batteries you should get the ones with solder tabs

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You'll want a 4 layer Wii, the eBay link is 3 6 layers

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The only thing that stands out to me is the SD card for installing PM, you should check around the house or something to see if you happen to have a card you can use. That particular one may have issues since it's a SDHC.

You'll want a 4 layer Wii, the eBay link is 3 6 layers
At least one of them is most likely a 4 layer, but Ginger is right that you'll probably want to look for a different listing, perhaps one that has a black wii, since those are guaranteed to be 4 layer.

Thanks!!! EDIT: I've been looking for a bit now, and I can't for the life of me find the right card! Can anyone help me please???

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks!!! EDIT: I've been looking for a bit now, and I can't for the life of me find the right card! Can anyone help me please???
Just google "4gb SD card", or do the same on ebay.

Sunny

For the buttons you'll need actual switches to use them (which I didn't see in the list), and you only need one tact switch per trigger so don't buy two pairs, you only need to order it once (since it already comes with two switches)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The second link is the right kind of SD card, but that one costs way too much.

For the buttons you'll need actual switches to use them (which I didn't see in the list), and you only need one tact switch per trigger so don't buy two pairs, you only need to order it once (since it already comes with two switches)
Can you link me to where I can get one because I don't know how to dissect a GC controller, and I don't know if there's a thread for doing this.

Quick Question: Does anybody know how big at a bare minimum the portable has to be??? I am going to use the OMGWTF trim, and I need to know how big the portable has to be. My design is a little wider than a Samsung Galaxy s10.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Well, that all depends on the size of the screen and control components you use. I'd reccomend getting those parts in hand so you can take some measurements and base your size off of those.