Discussion I'm making a Wii portable called the Poriblii, I need help

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Well no dip, it's one cell = one PCB. 4 cells = 4 PCBs.
Thats not how lithium protection works at all. You should follow what other people have done before you try to change things. You are making a LOT of incorrect assumptions you are making. We aren't trying to crush your dreams, we are just trying to keep them from dying in a lithium fire. We see countless members try to take the same shortcuts you are trying to make, and we have seen that it always ends the same: it doesn't work, you will be out a ton of money, and you will still have to go back and buy the correct components. Buy nice or buy twice.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Youre right I dont. But this board is meant for a LiPo, not a Li-Ion. It's also only meant for low-mAH batteries, probably 1000-3000mAH. I can adjust the charge rate by de-soldering the rProg resistor on the TP4056. If I really wanted to used the Li-Ion batteries with this, I would've catered my project based around them, but this is for a separate project, I just wanted to test and see if it worked with a 18650. I would probably just order a 4x cell holder like how AA or AAA batteries have their little casings, and take them out and slap them on a 18650 charger.

Guys, I'm trying my all I can give best. I don't have a school in my district to actually teach myself this stuff. Let alone, pay for a college nearby in my city once I get to that point.
Li-po and li-ion sets in this use case are interchangeable, you can use the same charge and protection circuits for both. However, using multiple charge ICs like that is a sure fire way to kill your cells or start a fire. Lithium cell arrays are intended to be managed by a single controller capable of outputting enough current to safely charge and balance all connected cells simultaniously. If you use multiple charge ICs for cells connected in parallel, their outputs will interfere with each other and permanently damage your cells, if not cause them to rupture and burn from overcharging. We may be coming off a little harsh here, but you're on your way to building a jerry rigged incendiary bomb. It may sound silly but it's happened before.

I fully understand you trying to work within your means and time contraints, and I wish there was more that could be done to help, but this plan of yours as it stands now is doomed. You MUST use a properly graded charge management system, or use a DC barrel jack and a 7.4v 2s2p pack with external smart charger like we used to pre-PMS days.